Netgear WNR3500L DD-WRT behind an FVS114 - lagging Internet

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mbressman
mbressman's picture
Netgear WNR3500L DD-WRT behind an FVS114 - lagging Internet

I have an FVS114 that provides main internet connectivity to my location. However, I wanted to set up a separate network (that still gets Internet) but that I can keep private NAS devices on (and also VPN into) so I figured I'd connect a Netgear WNR3500L running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (6/14/11) big (build 17201) into the FVS114 and then connect all my private network devices and computers into the WNR3500L. This seems to work, but the Internet connectivity seems to lag at times. I've tried taking the WNR3500L out of the picture and connecting a regular WRT54G running stock firmware and this fixes the problem, so the issue seems to be something with either the WNR3500L or the DD-WRT firmware. Any ideas or help?

Thanks in advance!

Subhra
Subhra's picture
Have you tried this setup

Have you tried this setup with wnr3500l having stock firmware or tomato firmware in it? I hope this will help you to narrow your problem domain.

mbressman
mbressman's picture
Subhra - haven't tried with

Subhra - haven't tried with stock firmware or Tomato firmware yet, but have been using a WRT54G with stock firmware and no problems, which leads me to believe something in DD-WRT is misconfigured or needs to be configured to fix the problem - maybe the DNS settings??

Tathagata Das - I am connected to the WNR3500L with DD-WRT via both wired and wireless - this is also how I'm connected to the WRT54G with stock firmware and am having no problems with the connectivity that way...should I try just via wired?  Could DD-WRT just be misconfigured or not correctly configured and that is causing the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi mbressman,

Hi mbressman,

you could try to narrow down the issue by using wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) to see, if there are packet loses / tcp retransmissions etc.

Once you know what kind of problem exists we can start investigating the source for it.

Subhra
Subhra's picture
As per my knowledge, without

As per my knowledge, without proper DNS configurations you should be able to ping the internet sites with their IP addresses, try that. Though I guess DNS setting might not be the culprit.
Moreover as your problem persists in both wired and wireless connection, it appears to me that the problem might be on the WAN side rather than in LAN side. I would recommend you to try with stock firmware first.