Netgear WRN3500L v1

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheChad
TheChad's picture
Netgear WRN3500L v1

Hey all,

I have had a Netgear WRN3500L V1 for many years, I don't do anything real advanced with it, but I do have to power it off and reboot it atleast 3-5 times a week.

Anything hardwired to the router works just fine, but WIFI crashes or whatever and none of the WiFi devices have connectiviety..  Also sometimes you will be connected via WiFi and you can see and talk to the router, but no internet connection..

Anyway, I was about to put yet another router in the trash and just buy a new one AGAIN, but I thought I would maybe try different firmware first...  But then there's like 10 different options, and each option has a handful of options.  So now I'm really confused..

I was considering DD-WRT as it seemed like the closest to the factory firmware as far a function..   I use the USB on my router to a hard drive for accessing files I need/want to download outside my home...   I would also like to use the Parental Controlls where if a website in the list is accessed it will send me an email (This feature doesn't work in the Netgear Firmware)..

So My first question I guess is, is DD-WRT the best choice?

My Second question is: What "Flavor" of DD-WRT do I use?

My Third question is: Will aftermarket firmware fix the problem(s) i'm experiencing with this rounter?

Thanks all!

-TheCHad

TheChad
TheChad's picture
So... No one?

So... No one?

TTim
TTim's picture
I would have DD-WRT into the

I would have DD-WRT into the router. If you do not have time, you can buy a new router.

Subhra
Subhra's picture
I would prefer to use DDWRT.

I would prefer to use DDWRT. You can consult README file for choosing proper version.

TheChad
TheChad's picture
Okay, I installed DD-WRT,

Okay, I installed DD-WRT, then Tomato, then went back to DD-WRT, I wasn't thrilled with either of them, especially I was easily/inadvertently able to get around the login/password...

Anyway, none of it matters at this point because my original problem showed its ugly face and the wifi just stopped working..

So I had to replace the router anyway..

Thanks,

-Chad