Random disconnects from Internet on 3800

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
Random disconnects from Internet on 3800

I am having random disconnects from the internet on my new 3800. I have to use the Genie to fix and reboot the router. This is happening at least 3 times a day. I have the new firmware 1.0.0.18.

Any ideas how to fix these random disconnects?

Thanks

FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
The computer is connected via

The computer is connected via wifi. When the problem occurs and the Genie tries to fix it, it reboots the router. When that happens, router startup fails at the DNS step with message "DNS INVALID". Powering off the 3800 corrects the error - until it happens again.

FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
When it loses the internet

When it loses the internet connection, it happens on both wired and wifi.

FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
I had a solid connection with

I had a solid connection with the old router. The problem only started this week when I installed the new 3800 router

FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
There is no periodic interval

There is no periodic interval - as I said it is random.

The web ui shows internet connected but the Genie shows disconnected. If I let the Genie reboot the router, it fails in the verify DNS step with message "DNS INVALID"

FrankP99
FrankP99's picture
How do I send you screenshots

How do I send you screenshots? I have two to send, one showing problem with internet, one at same time shows no problem.

michael29
michael29's picture
I am experiencing the same

I am experiencing the same problem.
Firmware: V1.0.0.24

When it happens, the router stops responding on wireless 2.4g or 5g.
I do see "PC Activity" on my Cable modem (Comcast/Motorola).
The router idiot lights look good, but I have to power cycle the router to resolve. Next time I'll check wired too.

Koen
Koen's picture
I'm having exactly the same

I'm having exactly the same issue!
All the lights are blinking on the router as if it behaves normal, except Genie is telling me it's disconnected from the internet and Windows is telling me it's disconnected from the internet.
Also I don't have any LAN connectivity (times out everything)
I'm printing on a network printer, but doesn't work (only start working again after power cycle)

if I power cycle the router everything is Oké.

The internet modem is Oké.

I tried resetting the router to factory defaults, but problem is still there.

michael29
michael29's picture
Koen said: I'm having exactly

Koen said: I'm having exactly the same issue! All the lights are blinking on the router as if it behaves normal, except Genie is telling me it's disconnected from the internet and Windows is telling me it's disconnected from the internet. Also I don't have any LAN connectivity (times out everything) I'm printing on a network printer, but doesn't work (only start working again after power cycle) if I power cycle the router everything is Oké. The internet modem is Oké. I tried resetting the router to factory defaults, but problem is still there.

My initial configuration was 5 Ghz only with the 2.3 Ghz completely off. On my network I had 2 Macbook Pros (MBP) at 5 GHz, using time machine over the wireless to the Seagate Goflex NAS. I also have 1 Sony Blueray running wireless 5 Ghz, and three devices wired in: another Sony blueray, the NAS, and a Tivo. The blueray and the NAS are at 1000 Mbit, the Tivo at 100 Mbit.

I enabled the 2.3 Ghz stepped the MBPs down to 2.3 Ghz and I am no longer having problems. I am unhappy with this solution and will debug further. My kids use the wireless Blueray and they are complaining about Netflix load errors, but that could be anything.

I suspect the software and might give DD-WRT a try to see if that changes the behavior.

Eflat Productions
Eflat Productions's picture
This seems like an inherit

This seems like an inherit problem with the 3800, for I too have the same problem. Sometimes it seems if I breath on it, it looses internet connection, if I move it, it has lost internet connection. I know it is not my cable modem, because I'm running straight from it with no problems. I have reset to factory, and have the latest firmware. I am more than a little frustrated with it. This is not a cheap router, but it is acting like one.

This will happen 5 or 6 times in an hour. Last night I gave up, and just connect straight to the cable modem, but now I have no WiFi.

MartySil
MartySil's picture
Just got the 6300 today and I

Just got the 6300 today and I am having the same issues. I have network connectivity, but the genie says I don't; then after about 5-10 seconds, the genie gives me a message saying Internet connected.

Eflat Productions
Eflat Productions's picture
Interesting thing has

Interesting thing has happened. I left the router off for a whole day, because I was pretty much done with it. After a day, I plugged it in, hooked everything up, and there have been no problems so far.

I would also suggest, just uninstalling the Genie. If you need to work with the router you can do it online.

snacker
snacker's picture
I am having disconnect issues

I am having disconnect issues as well with WNDR3800 firmware 1.0.0.38.
The wireless connection does not drop, but the internet connection does.
When we are online and all of a sudden there is a network problem (i.e. a page hangs in a browser or says it can't find a server) I am always able to login to the WNDR3800 admin page.
Then the "Basic" page shows the internet status is disconnected/down/... (don't recall the exact words right now).

We rarely had this problem with our old router, but we've had it ever since we installed the WNDR3800.
It will be on for an hour or so then disconnect and remain so for few minutes.
This can happen many times during the day... in fact we are no longer able to use our Dish Network "on Demand Moives", because they NEVER are able to complete a download now without the internet connection dropping at least once (don't know why their software doesn't reconnect afterwards, but it doesn't).

Is there any solution to this?
I seriously doubt it's the cable connection, but I'll try any suggestions at this point.

snacker
snacker's picture
I upgraded earlier to version

I upgraded earlier to version 1.0.0.40 and I am still having this problem.
The message on the "Basic" admin page (for the internet status) is "Error Not Connected".

Also, why doesn't the router always log these events under the "Advanced"-> "Administration" -> "Logs" ?
When I'm watching I do see the "[Internet connected]..." messages, but I can't imagine that it only gets disconnected when we are using the internet.
There are 5 other devices that are wirelessly connected to the router all day long.
I'm sure they've been getting errors when we're not using it.

snacker
snacker's picture
I figured out what our

I figured out what our problem was!!
It was NOT due to the WNDR3800 router!

During one of the disconnects we picked up our phone and there was no dial tone.
We have VOIP with our ISP (Time Warner Cable/RoadRunner), but the VOIP device is built into the cable modem they provided. (i.e. it was not running on a laptop/computer that was connected to our wireless router)

So for next week or so, when we thought there was an issue with the internet connectivity, we would turn our phone on (speaker phone) and sure enough no dial tone either.
We would keep the speaker phone on until we heard the dial tone finally come back (1-4 minutes later). Then we would check the internet connectivity from our laptop/computer/ipad/Dish Network/... and it would be working again.

So after doing this for over a week (just to be sure) I gave Time Warner Cable a call and told them what was going on.
They agreed that our (~12 year old) cable modem was likely the problem.
They came and replaced it and we haven't had any problems with internet connectivity since then!

The technician that came over said the cable modem we had from ~12 years ago was discontinued ~2 years ago and Time Warner Cable/RoadRunner stopped supporting it DUE TO this type of problem.

It was a small white modem that stood up (v/s laying flat) with ~6-8 led's near the top of it, ~1-2 inches think and it was wider at the base than the top.
I don't remember what the model/manufacturer was for it though.

I will send an update if I have any other issues, but so far so good!

It was just a coincidence that we started having trouble (or started noticing it perhaps???) when we switched to the WNDR3800.

Hope this helps someone having similar issues.

roughana
roughana's picture
Michael29> I suspect the

Michael29> I suspect the software and might give DD-WRT a try to see if that changes the behavior.

I checked the DD-WRT database and found no entry for the WNDR-7800.
Is there another model number that can be used instead?