Running a USB webcam through wnr3500l

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dutch
dutch's picture
Running a USB webcam through wnr3500l

Is it possible to run a webcam through the wnr3500l and have access to it from a pc?

Has anybody done this?

mth
mth's picture
I can access my webcam, as

I can access my webcam, as well as my scanner, with SANE (and therefore am able to make still images)

dutch
dutch's picture
Can you give some details?

Can you give some details? Are you running windows? Did you configure your router? What firmware are you running on it?

mth
mth's picture
My router is running dd-wrt (

My router is running dd-wrt (+optware) and I had to compile and install libusb 1.0(sane+my scanner seem to work only with libusb 1.0)

I can now access my webcam, as well as my scanner (USB, Canon Pixma MP-150), through SANE. On my Windows PC I use sanetwain to access my scanner. It is slower than when directly connected, but it is fast enough for my needs.

DILLIGAF
DILLIGAF's picture
@mth...

@mth...

Hi... could you please explain how to compile and install sane on the router..?
...Or if you already have sane compiled for Netgear, please share it? :)

I have a Canon Inkjet MP190... I have the printing working but would also like to be able to scan...

hughes_net
hughes_net's picture
could you please explain how

could you please explain how to compile and install sane on the router?

Business VPN

mth
mth's picture
DILLIGAF said: @mth... Hi...

DILLIGAF said: @mth... Hi... could you please explain how to compile and install sane on the router..? ...Or if you already have sane compiled for Netgear, please share it? :) I have a Canon Inkjet MP190... I have the printing working but would also like to be able to scan...

Try to get familar with optware. Once you installed optware you can either:

1) Crosscompile libusb

I recommend the Tomato toolchain for this. I successfully compiled tomato, dd-wrt and openwrt with it. I never got the dd-wrt toolchain running.

2) Build it on your router (works fine for small libraries like libusb)

If you go this way, install optware-devel (ipkg-opt install optware-devel), download libusb do configure & make it.

I can upload libusb.so if you need it (I also have a bunch of precompiled kernel modules like soundcore, snd, usb_audio, hid, cifs etc. which might be of interest)