Setting up a second router with the 3500L tomato

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jan-mt
jan-mt's picture
Setting up a second router with the 3500L tomato

hi,

i've been flashing an trying differnt firmware and settings for 3 days, as a learning experience mainly.

anyway i need to set up my second router as an extention to my 3500L and have some questions about what is the best step up.

i need to set up 2 routers transmitting wifi and an usb HDD to my 3500L

now the second router only supports 100mbit lan

is it idea to hook up the modem, HDD and my most used pc via wire to the 3500L [which if possible must transmitt N only so i can get my 300mbps wifi while on the laptop].

then the router would be connecte to the slower 100mbit router which i need to transmit N/G and hooked up to pc i dont much.

my concernces are:

can i have a router transmitting wifi N only and the other wifi G/N?

will the transfer speed from the most used pc to the HDD be at 1000bit? since the second slow router is not a medium for this connection

hope i made myself clear

thanks

ian

Beshemo
Beshemo's picture
So your going to use your

So your going to use your router as a NAS, good for you. I have a similar setup, and my experience is that the bandwidth will not be an issue (100/1000mbit). 

I use a WD 1.5tb external disk connected to my wnr3500l, with the Tomato Firmware v1.28.9048 MIPSR2-beta18 K26 USB Ext. The transfering speeds from/to my external disk is roughly 4-6MB/s (below 100mbit). Enough to stream 1080p media. You get what you pay for, don´t expect this router to perform as a 2-300$ NAS. 

The computers that you most often use should be (if possible) connected with wire, since wireless performance is not nearly as stable. If you use any of these computers as a storage center, it would be wise to connect it to the router with the best capabilities. Although, if the computers that want to access the storage is connected through an 100mbit router, there will be a bottleneck. 

So, to answer the NAS-question: If you use the router as a NAS, there will not be any bottlenecks since the transfering speeds to/from the USB-storage device is less then 100mbit. 

You can use your different routers with different wlan names, at least if their not connected to each other through a wireless-bridge. 

Hope this was good-enough answer to you.

Best Regards

/Beshemo

janthatsme
janthatsme's picture
i managed to connect 2

i managed to connect 2 routers, i haven't bought an extra external drive but now that you told me about the routers limitations i think i will go for a smaller drive than the intended 2Tb NAS
thanks