So I got my WNR3500L, why DD-WRT as opposed to Netgear firmware?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photo-Nerd
Photo-Nerd's picture
So I got my WNR3500L, why DD-WRT as opposed to Netgear firmware?

Aside from the fact that you can... what can I do with DD-WRT better or that I can't do with the factory firmware?

I have gigabit ethernet on my modem and router, I have a blu-ray wired, xbox wired, 2 N wireless adapters, and a WD HD TV Live connected (wired).

I've tried the NAS feature...but it's faster to use a windows share.  Not sure why, but NAS performance sucks!

Rweise
Rweise's picture
Hello,

Hello,

I`m not sure, but i think there must be a great difference between a windows share and NAS feature because one is mostly connected internal over fast ide or sata and the other over a slow usb connection.
Or is your windows share on a usb-drive?
What DD-wrt make it better is a great pool with extensions like a mediaserver, mailserver, webserver, tools for reading temperatures from onewirenet and many more you can find under the ipkg or ipkg-opt Databases.
But be warned, you need some expiriences with linux, time and the will to bring it to life if you take the dd-wrt-way. Finaly and not last more features need more configuration and i briked my wnr3500l some time and only my FT232/PL2303-TTL brought him back to life.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Another reason a lot of users

Another reason a lot of users choose DD-WRT is the flexibility and sheer volume of customization and options available. There's a built-in bandwidth monitor that is quite useful. The list of features goes on and on :)