Tomato 1.28 - Dual (B)SSID possible?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
hoban
hoban's picture
Tomato 1.28 - Dual (B)SSID possible?

Hello,

I've recently installed Tomato on my WNR3500L and overall have been quite impressed. One thing that I haven't been able to figure out though is how to set up a guest access point alongside my main AP. I know the router is capable of multiple BSSID's since this is how I had it set up with the stock Netgear firmware and also saw the option in the DD-WRT setup screen.

Can it be done using Tomato? I don't see any way in the web GUI so maybe it needs to be done from the CLI? I'm confident working from the command-line so any help is appreciated!

Tomato version: Tomato Firmware v1.28.7476 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 Std

Router: WNR3500L

hoban
hoban's picture
bueller? bueller?

bueller? bueller?

Seriously though, comments appreciated!

hoban
hoban's picture
*sigh* I grow tired of

*sigh* I grow tired of dealing with additudes like yours kt_haddock.
Of course I searched google before posting here.
I looked over the relevant pages in the search results you posted.
Each of them were conversations from people as clueless about this topic as I am grasping at straws trying to get it working on their own.
Since this is supposedly the place to speak with developers like toastman and others more intimately involved with the {soft,firm}ware, I wanted to know whether anyone has accomplished setting up multiple APs with tomato.
In the case that you have grown tired of people asking questions without searching and have reacted the way you did as a result, I understand & accept your comment with a grain of salt.

Does anyone know difinitively (from experience) whether this request is possible?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
The problem is that while we

The problem is that while we know the wireless drivers are capable of doing this, exactly how is undocumented - the wireless drivers are not open source and are closed modules.

We have managed to get 2 SSID's broadcast and you can actually connect to the second one - but no encryption yet and rather experimental in nature. Be patient, I'm sure more progress will be made soon.

hoban
hoban's picture
kt_haddock: thanks for the

kt_haddock: thanks for the triage, I do appreciate it.
Toastman: so it's possible in DD-WRT because they presumably have the source code for the wireless driver?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Maybe that's true.

Maybe that's true.

hoban
hoban's picture
Thanks for your help Toastman

Thanks for your help Toastman.

Mercury Joe
Mercury Joe's picture
Toastman,

Toastman,

You know, with the latest development of the easier to configure VLAN's,I would find it acceptable to have an unsecured WLAN that is seperated on a isolated VLAN. Heck, make it so the NOCAT is configurable to the unprotected WLAN and it would be even better.

You would have a protected secured WLAN and an VLAN isolated unsecured WLAN that you can put a splash screen on. Make it configurable in QOS/BW limiter so you can make it more controllable and I would have a PERFECT AP at work.

All the bells and whistles can come later with multiple WLANS with configurable security. In the meantime, all the 'We want a guest SSID' people (yes, I am including myself in this) would get something useable.

Just a thought.