tomato shibby vs Victek for the Netgear r7000..

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
killabee44
killabee44's picture
tomato shibby vs Victek for the Netgear r7000..

Guys,
Im running dd-wrt kong on my R7000 and would like to try tomato. Wile reading I saw someone said that they use a driver that allows speeds similar to stock firmware. But my main reason for wanting to try it is that Ive had a hard time getting Policy based Routing to work properly.
I see that there are a couple of compatible firmwares from shibby and victek. Which do you all think is best? What are the differences between the two? Thanks.

killabee44

Wolf666
Wolf666's picture
None of third party FW grants

None of third party FW grants the same speeds of stock FW. I have a R7000, tried both DD-WRT (kong ans BS releases) and Tomato. The only real reason you may have to use 3rd party software is for the additional features they offer. This was my reason. Those FW also have ping latency (Tomato) and random reboots (DD-WRT)

Recently I switched to a pfSense appliance as firewall/router, I use my R7000 as AP only, my only need is range, connection reliability and signal strength...I am satisfied with stock FW, no reboots since ages.

If you want a real firewall/router, you have to look to pfSense.

Wolf666
Wolf666's picture
None of third party FW grants

None of third party FW grants the same speeds of stock FW. I have a R7000, tried both DD-WRT (kong ans BS releases) and Tomato. The only real reason you may have to use 3rd party software is for the additional features they offer. This was my reason. Those FW also have ping latency (Tomato) and random reboots (DD-WRT)

Recently I switched to a pfSense appliance as firewall/router, I use my R7000 as AP only, my only need is range, connection reliability and signal strength...I am satisfied with stock FW, no reboots since ages.

If you want a real firewall/router, you have to look to pfSense.