WNR2000V1 Wifi speed problem

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
robw47
robw47's picture
WNR2000V1 Wifi speed problem

I got a rather old router from a neighbour of me, the WNR2000V1.

After changing some options I can use this router as secound router.

But testing the Wifi speed with speedtest from Okla, my laptop is near by the router. I got a lousy speed of 2-4Mbps.

And yes, the signal is very good / strong.

I use Acrylic, Netstumbler and inSSIDer to get info about channels and signal strength.

Using my other second router (TP-Link) I got 14-16Mbps.

Another neighbour of me has also a netgear router, not so old, but the menu of his router is almost equal at this netgear.

And he also use his router as second router.

So, we have also tested the WNR2000V1 in his network by comparing the menu options of his netgear and mine.

The same result, very low speed.

Can someone explain why this wifi spwwd is so low, is there for example something wrong with the circuit board?

I have sent a mail to Netgear Support, but because the priod of waranty is over, they will not give a answer.

I hope my English is good enough, I am an old Dutchman with retirement.

redaroved
redaroved's picture
Hello,

Hello,

First a couple questions:

1) What bandwidth and conection type do you have from your ISP?  (from experience a 20 mbps DSL  connection was drastically different than a 20mbps cable connect)

2) When you say second router what are specifics:  Is your first router the ISP's modem/wifi router combo or do you have  modem then first router? How is the 2nd router connected to network?   Example: I have a  modem/wifi router  first  then I run ethernet to my 2nd router and use it as a wifi AP as well as ethernet hub in my living room. 3rd router is used as a wireless repeater for the modem/ wifi router to remedy  connection issues I had in the backyard streaming music/ TV etc. 

First thing I always do when I get another router to tinker on (most of my relatives think I'm where they're supposed to take electronics they don't want).  Find the user manual online, then do a full factory reset.  I then connect it to my modem then reset the modem. Hook up my laptop to the new router via ethernet cable first and check the speeds then I go through the router menus and change passwords and check all the settings.  

My experience has been that if  speeds are normal via ethernet port  then 75% of the time it is a setting I had overlooked in the router (WEP caps at 54mbps and isnt secure vs WPA2 AES which is secure and supports up to 300mbps)  , the other 25% have been missing or broken external wifi antannae or a general consensus that the rattle I hear when I shake it a bit might be related.