WNR3500L and Tomato USB Mod

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
gman
gman's picture
WNR3500L and Tomato USB Mod

MOD/Teddy_Bear has added code for the WNR3500L using the 2.6 kernel over on the LinksysInfo forum.  Still in Beta but has been confirmed to work as a direct upload to the 3500L.

Check it out here:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63587&page=35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_Bear
I also added the code I believe is enough for this to run on Netgear WNR3500L - but I don't have this router, and have no way of testing it. It also theoretically should work now on all other routers supported by vanilla Tomato, as long as they can run ND version - but again - somebody else who has these models needs to test it before we can say this particular model is supported.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63587&page=40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutschnur83 
Hey, i am very new to this forum want to inform some users that ive successfuly flashed teddy_bear 's release on my wnr3500L first i thouhgt i bricked him, cause i could'nt access through Lan but now i saw that i can access over wlan and then i saw i had a fault range.So for now i can say all basic functions are there an can be used wireless N WPA/WPA2 dhcp LAN all are OK for now @ home i will test more.

Thx Teddy_Bear 4 this release now i'm Happy tomato user

(sorry 4 bad english)
Greets from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan 
So, what about this mod of Tomato on NetGear WNR3500L? It works OK? Any nuances?

No probs so far i will make today some tests for teddy_bear , but basics qos routing wireless modes i use bridge mode no probs, no disconnections stable transferrates no reboots or freezes till yet. 

Full thread here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63587

Whenthelight
Whenthelight's picture
Hey Gman i'm hutschnur on

Hey Gman i'm hutschnur on linksys Forum and tested tomato now for 2 days with new beta from teddy_bear so far all runs very well have cable 100mbit no probs to get 80% of throughput over 15m with 3 massiv concrete walls thats very nice Lan speed also very well will run some test for teddy_bear for button-support.

greets from germany

gman
gman's picture
Hello Hutschnur

Hello Hutschnur
Wie geht's dir. Look forward to your future 3500L test reports in this forum. This router may not be out for the count yet.

02-05-2010, 03:17 AM
mstombs
LinksysInfo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma
@ mstombs
Interesting comment .... I saw this on the NetGear website for the WNR3500L router:

Open-Source Router, Community and Development Partner program
Open-source Wireless-N router with Gigabit wired ports for Linux developers and open-source enthusiasts.
Open-source community website and development Partner program with downloadable applications, user guide, forums, blogs and downloads at www.myopenrouter.com
High Performance Broadcom 480 MHz MIPS® 74K CPU, 8 MB Flash and 64 MB RAM to even run business-class applications
Popular Linux Firmware-DD-WRT, Open-WRT and Tomato available on Open-source community website
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout.../WNR3500L.aspx

Based on this the Official Tomato firmware and all other mods should be able to work with the NetGear WNR3500L router.
end quoute

Pharma

Just to be clear - when they posted this they had patched the Linksys WRT54GL distro, downloaded from Victek's web site and just about managed to get Tomato to run with the 2.4 kernel - but wireless didn't work so it was not usable. Seemingly they had no help from Netgear/Broadcom in getting new drivers for the 2.6 kernel.

Teddy_bear has constructed a complete new src and toolchain tree, freely available from the Git repository, which I can confirm compiles first time without any modification on my system. The resulting firmware is still heavily dependent on Broadcom binary drivers, which is to be expected as the routers have large integrated Broadcom chips that do all the clever bits!

That Teddy_bear's firmware works on other routers is not an accident - it is a result of careful consideration of the Broadcom chips identifying board_flags and the fact that the routers have custom CFE's that do board specific setup.

We now have a router platform with Tomato and 2.6 kernel and hardware with enough CPU speed/ram/hard-disk to fully utilize the rest of the GNU/Linux OpenSource world - REJOICE!

Thanks again teddy_bear

gman
gman's picture
Quote: Tathagata Das

Quote: Tathagata Das
"How do you know that Netgear/Broadcom will not give new driver for kernel-2.6?"

How many years has 2.6 kernel been around? Why hasn't Broadcom added compatible code to utilize 2.6?

DD-WRT is not Netgear OEM firmware. DD-WRT and Tomato have both been modified to replace 2.4 with 2.6 kernel.

Regards

eloisaj
eloisaj's picture
wow! that is so cool! but did

wow! that is so cool! but did you know that A very shallow quake struck the Baluchistan province of Pakistan. This was an incredibly shallow quake, less than 7 miles deep. The quake was documented first by the United States Geological Survey. Pakistan has not yet released a statement about the earthquake. The boundary regions of both Iran and Afghanistan have documented feeling the earthquake. The damage from the shake has not yet been reported.