WNR3500L crash

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bruce
Bruce's picture
WNR3500L crash

I know it had to have crashed because it was unresponsive until I power cycled it.  Unfortunately, no log information is kept in the NVRAM so there is little to report:

[Admin login] from source 10.0.0.2, Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:20:46

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:18:37

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.7, Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:18:27

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:18:20

[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.4)] to MAC address C8:2A:14:3E:10:2E, Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:18:18

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.2.2.30_34.0.37NA] Wednesday, Nov 16,2011 11:18:18 

Maybe a nice thing would be to have a tiny circular log so when/if the thing crashes there's at least a little residue left lying around.

Bruce
Bruce's picture
Hardware Version WNR3500L

Hardware Version WNR3500L
Firmware Version V1.2.2.30_34.0.37NA
GUI Language Version V1.2.2.34_2.1.9.1

That might be useful, too. :)

Subhra
Subhra's picture
That would be a great feature

That would be a great feature to have. Though I don't have any idea how to get that on the WebUI, but can tell that if you connect serial console to your router, you will be able to see the kernel log for your reference.

Bruce
Bruce's picture
Subhra said: That would be a

Subhra said: That would be a great feature to have. Though I don't have any idea how to get that on the WebUI, but can tell that if you connect serial console to your router, you will be able to see the kernel log for your reference.

WRT WebUI:  [CODE] [ ] enable persistent circular log [/CODE]

and just keep it in a free fragment of the NVRAM and look for it when booting.  Or, if there is concern about NVRAM burnout, then only dump to it on a panic.  Whatever.  Something.

The serial port requires solder and extra wires.  A little over the top for me.  I don't do hardware.  Even still, I don't know it is going to crash until it has crashed. By then, it is power cycle reboot time and the information is all gone.  Perhaps ssh in and do a "tail -f /var/log/messages" and my desktop can keep that log.  How do I ssh in?

Now if that USB port could be used for any of:  NAS disk space (done) or a printer (*not* done???) or HID devices (including a lo-res monitor)....

Subhra
Subhra's picture
As per my knowledge, Netgear

As per my knowledge, Netgear Stock firmware doesn't provide support for remote login (ssh/telnet). For that you have to port those applications to Stock firmware.