WNR3500L + SMB + WD 1TB

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
farside
farside's picture
WNR3500L + SMB + WD 1TB

Hi,

I will recive a NETGEAR WNR3500L router today as i decided to buy a new router to get better speed out of my network.

The devices i want to connect to the router is HTC Desire HD , HTC Desire , PS3 , HDX-1000 media player , TViX N1 Cafe media player and a NAS (LG N1T1DD1 ) Laptop and HTPC.

I want to connect my 1TB external HD to the usb port (formatted with NTFS) and be able to access it from everywhere inside my home lan (stream videos from harddrive to ie. TViX)

What do you suggest? should i use the standard FW or should i use dd-wrt? i just want an easy way to share the media on the harddrive (SMB and FTP).

What is the best way to manage files on the drive? FTP? (upload new files to the HD)

KONG version of dd-wrt seems good and as far as my little knowledge of this (noob) it seems to cover my needs?!

Please help me.

Br

Striatum
Striatum's picture
I don't even remember what

I don't even remember what are the stock firmware features... lol.

Both Tomato and DD-WRT (Kong mod) can do what you want. Samba is good for devices supporting it (you can easily write/read on your harddisk through your LAN), you can use DLNA server to stream your videos to every devica DLNA compatible.

If your harddisk is empty you should consider using ext3 as filesystem (faster), but I guess your Hd is already full...