WNR3500L(2) Repeater Bridge and Router Setup Questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
HeCareth
HeCareth's picture
WNR3500L(2) Repeater Bridge and Router Setup Questions

Hi all I posted this somewhere else in the comments in Kongs Mod, but I figured I should start a new thread since it was a good amount of questions.

Ok So I am new to this open source router bit, but I am starting to get the feel of it. This is the setup I am going for so anyone please tell me if I going down the wrong path

1. I have 2 WNR3500L's, One which is the Primary running upstairs in the office and one which is running as a Repeater Bridge downstairs next to the TV.

2. I decided that I will reformat my 2TB Hard drive to ext3 and connect it to the Repeater Bridge. I will enable SAMBA and miniDLNA here. My Media extender will be connected to this router so I figured I will connect my media drive here. I stream HD movies >2gb so I figured I should just do the better performing ext3 over NTFS, since I had to reformat it from exFAT anyway.

3. I have another 500 GB drive that I will use for all my data that I will reformat to ext3 and connect it to the Primary Router in the office with SAMBA enabled.

So thats my setup, so here are my questions

1. Will I get better performance using WDS instead of Repeater Bridge?

2. Can I connect an USB drive to the repeater similar to the primary router without any crazy problems or do I need to do a little extra to make that work?

3. What is the best way to partition the drive with this release? I read somewhere I should do 4 partitions for optware (ext3), swapfile (linux-swap), data (ext3), and jffs (ext3).

4. With SAMBA enabled will I be able to transfer media files directly to my miniDLNA media shares through windows networking? and Will this have any effect on the miniDLNA?

5. n3IVI0 asked a question about renaming the miniDLNA to a different name other than DD-WRT, is there a way to do this?

6. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Ok thats it I hope it is not too much, I'm kind of a newb to this, I worked a little in Linux before but it has been a while. Between here, the dd-wrt forums and everywhere else I have found tons of info, but I just want to make sure I do this right.

Kong
Kong's picture
1. does not matter

1. does not matter
2. no this should work
3. if you want to optware packages from any source you need at least 2 partitions /opt (location of optware packages) another for /jffs swap is required if you run large services that need lots of ram
4. Yes. This does not affect minidlna
5. The current release does not have a setting for it

HeCareth
HeCareth's picture
Hi Kong, I actually put this

Hi Kong, I actually put this message somewhere else but I will put here also

The Primary Router works perfect, I only have it setup for SAMBA and I can browse the directories and do what I need to do. However, my repeater router is being weird. I'm using Lestat's shutdown script.

1. I cannot get the miniDLNA to work right. It starts and I guess it starts scanning the directories because I can see the music coming in, so I left it to synch. I came back about 3 hours later and it says "No Content Available" It is liked it never scanned the drive, or it reset itself

2. Samba is not working, I used the same settings as the Primary router, but just changing the names making it a different share. Every time I browse I can only see the shares from the Primary router. Do I have to do anything special on the repeater to enable Samba for the hard drive connected to it.

Kong
Kong's picture
If you have setup repeater

If you have setup repeater bridge, then they should have two different ips and you should be able to connect to :

\\routerip1\Public
\\routerip2\Public

Do you have lots of media files? I have never tested with lots of files. Since the router has only 64MB of RAM and by default there is no swap available I could imagine that it will cause trouble especially if samba is enabled. Minidlna will create a db file (in RAM) under /tmp/minidlna you can watch how big this file gets. I guess I should add a textfield so one can enter a path located on disc in order to save some RAM.

HeCareth
HeCareth's picture
Ok I will try that when I get

Ok I will try that when I get home, because I was browsing the Network in Ubuntu, but I will try it with Windows.

I do have a lot of media files about 500 Gigs worth. I did create 3 partitions on my drive one being a 256mb swap partition, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to enable it somewhere or if the router does automatically.

Sorry I am still working through linux what do I use a special option with "ls" to get the file size?