WNR3500v2 versus WNR3500L

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sirwinder
Sirwinder's picture
WNR3500v2 versus WNR3500L

Hello everybody. It's apparent to me that I'm not as PC literate as most of you. I have a WNR3500v2, not the "L". Am I able to use third party firmwares on this particular router? Looks to me like the only difference is the USB port. Perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone here too. My previous router/gateway had a 24 hour, 7 days a week options to enable/disable wireless broadcasting. Are there any other firmwares out there where I can include this option once again? Thanks in advance.

rbscairns
rbscairns's picture
Yes you are able to install

Yes you are able to install third-party firmware on the WNR3500v2 (e.g., DD-WRT), but make sure that build you select is compatible with the WNR3500v2. The WNR3500v2 only has 4MB of Flash, only 32MB RAM and no USB port. This is important to know when choosing a third-party firmware build.

The DD-WRT build that I use has the option of setting when wireless broadcasting is on or off during a 24 hour day, but not different times for each day of the week. Other firmware and builds may be different.

Sirwinder
Sirwinder's picture
Alright! Awesome! This gives

Alright! Awesome! This gives me some hope. Now I'll have to go through the different firmwares to find all the features I need. Are ther pages where I can find descriptions for the different firmwares, and option catagories they may have?

rbscairns
rbscairns's picture

The three main third-party "brands" that you shouls concider are-

• DD-WRT
  • OpenWRT
  • Tomato

I don't believe that there is any one single site that covers all of these. Do an internet search on each, adding WNR3500v2 to each search.

ChrisKiss
ChrisKiss's picture
Hi everybody,

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to use the 3500L as a WLAN-bridge?
With the 3500 (withour L) I'm sure that this works. But what about the 3500L? What will I have to do after I bought it to use it as a bridge?