WNR-3500 - dd-wrt upgrade - but which one

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
nseith
nseith's picture
WNR-3500 - dd-wrt upgrade - but which one

Hi All,

I updated my WNR3500 many years ago and was now wondering if there is a new release.

Unfortunatley I did not find/get which one i should use as I´m not sure which 3500 I own or if I now need a bin or chk file for the upgrade?

Can someone help me?

This is the info from website of my 3500:

Router

ModelNetgear WNR3500v2/U/L
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/20/10) stdkong - build 15758M

CPU

ModelBroadcom BCM4716 chip rev 1
CPU Clock453 MHz

Memory

Total Available
91%59908 kB / 65536 kB
Free
80%47712 kB / 59908 kB

Thanks for your quick reply.

martinmarty
martinmarty's picture
I am not very experienced at

I am not very experienced at this but no one else has replied.

AFAIK if you are already running DD-WRT you need a bin. I believe the chk was for moving from stock firmware to DD-WRT after which you would install a bin.

Personally, if I already had DD-WRT running I would not attempt an upgrade because I think the risk is greater than the reward unless you are looking for something specific that you know is in a certain release.  It seems like there is not much activity on these old routers any more and it is hard to get help. I see that even Kong is no longer making his builds of DD-WRT, as I see you are running one.

All that being said, I have had recent success getting the following Kong build to run on a couple of WNR3500Lv2. I have not used many features, only basic DHCP, IP routing on ethernet and maybe a few wifi connections and I had a couple firewall rules installed that seemed to work in very limited usage.

dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNR3500Lv2.chk/bin

I am certain you and I are using different hardware because mine has the "L" designation and also I think mine has 128MB memory vs 64 on yours.

Sorry I cannot be more help. I have created a few bricks and a few working routers practicing this over the years but I do not yet move with confidence. At the moment I am trying to de-brick a WNR3500Lv2 using the serial console for the first time and I am having mixed results. I can get it booted on the Kong release I mentioned but the WAN port is dead so I was trying to get back to the stock firmware to see if the WAN port would work. So far no luck with that. I can't seem to find the right image to get back to stock. After I tftp the chk file it seems to report a discrepancy in the board id (U12H172T00_NETGEAR) versus image and that is as far as I get.

Good luck with your project.