R7000 behind ISP ROUTER!?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
RonD2016
RonD2016's picture
R7000 behind ISP ROUTER!?

Could anybody please answer the following question for me:

Is it possible to set the netgear R7000 up as a flashed DD-WRT router behind an ISP ROUTER?

I tried this and it did not work before.  But I do not know if it is because I was behind an ISP's ROUTER and not behind a MODEM or if I mucked up the Flashing/setup!

In my R7000 quick Install manual it only talks about an ISP MODEM.  The illustration shows a single port MODEM.

I do not have a MODEM.  I do have a number of Routers, some with WiFi some without.  What do I need?  Any help would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Ron Driscoll

russellr
russellr's picture
Hi,

Hi,

The short answer is yes, but your ISP router must be a modem too (otherwise it wouldn't work.)  This applies to ADSL as well as Cable.

I have a DLink modem/router (for ADSL), and I've added a Netgear R7000 router running DDWRT.

The DLink is set to "Bridge" mode, which means my Netgear router has a connection to the ISP. The Netgear does the logon to the ISP (Telstra in this case).

I have switched off much of the DLink's routing capability because I don't need it in addition to the Netgear.  However, it still has an IP address on my LAN and I can connect to it for configuring etc.

mesteele101
mesteele101's picture
You will need to contact your

You will need to contact your ISP and if its possible to convert the modem/router mode to modem/bridge mode. You could also request that your ISP furniosh you with a non-router modem. Let your ISP know what you are doing and they will be able to help you.